Six community partnerships and four conservation and rehabilitation resource sector projects from across Western Australia are in the running for the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety’s (DMIRS) 2020 Resources Sector Awards for Excellence.
The annual Resources Sector Awards for Excellence was established by the DMIRS to demonstrate and acknowledge that the mining industry is not only sustainable, but also achieves the environmental and community balance expected of industry today.
The Resources Sector Awards for Excellence brings together the prestigious Golden Gecko environmental awards and the Community Partnership Resources Sector Award.
The Golden Gecko environmental awards recognise leading practice and innovation in environmental management and provide an opportunity to share experiences between government, industry and the community.
This year’s Golden Gecko Award for Environmental Excellence shortlist includes conservation and rehabilitation projects offshore and in the Pilbara. They will be judged on their innovative solutions, commitment to environmental excellence, social responsibility and community engagement.
The Community Partnership Resources Sector Award promotes strong guiding behaviour within the sector by providing a platform for innovative and meaningful partnerships to be showcased and celebrated.
This award publicly recognises outstanding achievements and leadership in building constructive community-resource industry partnerships that provide positive outcomes and promote strong guiding behaviour within the resources sector.
Winners of this award receive two trophies, one for the community partner and one for the resources sector partner.
The projects shortlisted for the Community Partnership Resources Sector Award this year all aim to provide a long-lasting legacy in local communities in areas ranging from education, health services, social investment, and conservation and restoration.
They will be judged against three criteria: leadership and innovation in establishing a partnership; benefits of the collaboration; and a demonstrated commitment to providing enduring and sustainable outcomes.
The winners will be announced at the DMIRS’ Resources Sector Awards for Excellence in October 2020. For more information on the awards, please visit here.
Golden Gecko Award for Environmental Excellence Shortlist
- Atlas Iron – Rehabilitation and closure
- Roy Hill – Rail Rehabilitation Success
- Santos – Shearwater fledgling interaction with gas plant operations
- Rio Tinto – Cape Lambert Turtle Programme
Community Partnership Resources Sector Award Shortlist
- Glass Jar Australia Ltd and St Barbara Ltd – Shooting Stars Partnership
- Scitech and Alcoa of Australia – Alcoa Maths Enrichment Program
- Royal Flying Doctor Service, Shires of Mingenew, Morowa and Perenjori and Karara Mining Ltd – Midwest Mobile Dental Clinic
- Hedland Senior High School and Roy Hill – Roy Hill Community Foundation
- City of Karratha and Rio Tinto – Community Infrastructure and Services Partnership
- Peel-Harvey Catchment Council and Newmont Boddington Gold – Hotham-Williams Catchment Care